[OpenAFS] Summary of recommended configuration options from the workshop

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 26 May 2008 12:48:31 -0700

Mike Garrison <mcgarr@umich.edu> writes:
> On May 26, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Demand attach is not a simple change, to say the least.  Rather than
>> putting a lot of work into integrating it into the general 1.4 release,
>> the best way forward is to put that effort into testing 1.5 so that we
>> can release 1.6.

> I thought there was a backport of it to 1.4.x that some large
> organization has and is using?

That large organization isn't running pure 1.4 plus a backport of demand
attach.  In other words, the work there doesn't necessarily port obviously
to the public tree.  Plus, a stable demand-attach is a good milestone for
releasing 1.5, and the fewer branches we can support, the more time we can
spend on other things.  :)