[OpenAFS] Backups CPU-bound... any way to speed up?

Atro Tossavainen atro.tossavainen+openafs@helsinki.fi
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 12:29:08 +0300 (EEST)

I've noticed that my backups of AFS are throttled by the CPU.

(I'm backing up to intermediate disk files and from there to tape
 using NetWorker.  Both volserver and vos are rather hungry for CPU,
 I notice.  I have disk systems that could take a lot more than is
 currently being fed from/to them, but the speed of my backups is
 being limited by the CPU resources available.)

I'm still on commercial AFS.  Replacing volserver and vos with the
OpenAFS 1.4.7 versions only made the matter worse.  Any insight
(or better yet, help that does not rely on replacing the hardware :-)
would be welcome.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,