[OpenAFS] openafs and tivoli backup client

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:17:05 +0200 (CEST)

> > Have you already done the optimization of not doing a vos dump unless the
> > volume modify timestamp has changed since the last time you did one?
>
> Nope, thanks for the pointer.
>
> > Also, note that vos dump can do incrementals.  I know that doesn't work
> > very well with Tivoli's normal no-incremental mode, but it is an option.
>
> I will probably try the above. If I ever figure out how to do this right ;-) .

Note: We use an _archive_ type filespace and purge the dumps ourselves.

> Thank you for the pointers (and pity IBM dropped AFS from Tivoli).

With support on AIX only, it was not _that_ useful to us anyway.
However, has anyone inspected how IBM stored the metadata? Related
is the question if such a dsmc archived filespace can be convinced
to give out the data to the API. The other way around is possible
if you do the HL and LL names in a dsmc restore compatible way.

Harald.