[OpenAFS] Cross Platform Forks et al

Jason C. Wells jcw@highperformance.net
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 00:46:49 -0700

Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Its not on the wishlist yet but a cell wide metadata service is
> something that has been discussed.   I would like to see if it is
> possible to get WDS, Google Desktop and Spotlight to talk to a third
> party metadata server.  You really wouldn't want WDS to be forced to
> maintain local indexes of the cell's AFS content.

If the metadata exists on the underlying storage filesystem (many modern
FS have the metadata) then don't you already have your "service."  You
would just need to expose the metadata via AFS and let the users decide
what to do with it.  I realize that a cell can be huge.  I'd just like
to index my AFS home directory for starters.

Regards,
Jason