[OpenAFS] Best Filesystem

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:34:40 -0500

Jason C. Wells <jcw@highperformance.net> wrote:
> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
>> So your server OS is Solaris
>
> No.  My server OS is debian. My client OS are FreeBSD, debian, XP.
> Your assumption that file system suitability is determined purely by
> OS is limited.  ZFS appears to ready for prime time on BSD and Linux
> or it will be soon enough for me to start thinking about adopting it.

Your assumption is that just because an OS supports a filesystem, that
OpenAFS will support it for a client cache.  This is not the case.
Support for ZFS caches on Solaris does NOT mean that ZFS on Linux would
work.

I'd stick with etx2/ext3 caches on Linux if I were you.

You are welcome to try it out, but I'm fairly certain you'll run into
strange errors using ZFS on Linux as an afs cache partition.

<<CDC