[OpenAFS] Best Filesystem

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs@online.de
Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:57:17 +0200

Am Sonntag, 12. April 2009 18:15:59 schrieb Jason C. Wells:
> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > So your server OS is Solaris
>
> No.  My server OS is debian. My client OS are FreeBSD, debian, XP.  Your
> assumption that file system suitability is determined purely by OS is
> limited.

YMMV, but I would only use a filesystem that was originally developed for my OS
or at least well tested on this OS, especially when it should store my
valuable data.

> ZFS appears to ready for prime time on BSD and Linux or it
> will be soon enough for me to start thinking about adopting it.

Yes, there's something called ZFS for Linux. But that's a FUSE (Filesystem in
USErspace) thing. That module is also in very early stages of development and
its status page shows a lot of things which don't work, and some that will
never work, due to FUSE limitations.

I'd say your chances will be better if you wait for another year and try
btrfs, then (you can also try it now, with linux 2.6.29, but I would suggest
to try it on test systems only).

So, on Linux as a server, use one of the "big 4" (ext[23], xfs, reiser or jfs)
for vice partitions. For Linux clients, use ext2.

For FreeBSD and XP, I don't know what's the best FS for the client cache.

Bye...

	Dirk