[OpenAFS] dynroot question

Jack Neely jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 16:24:56 -0400

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 10:02:21AM -0400, Derrick Brashear wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Jack Neely<jjneely@pams.ncsu.edu> wrot=
e:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I'm having an issue with the dynroot functionality on my web servers.
> > I've straced the httpd process and discovered that it is attempting t=
> > stat() /afs/.htaccess which, of course, doesn't exist. =A0The problem
> > being that AFS takes 10 to 20 seconds or more to return the stat call.
> >
> > The problem comes and goes. =A0I'm not exactly sure what is triggerin=
g it
> > and would like some help figuring that out.
> >
> > We're running 1.4.10 client side and the servers with the web volumes
> > are 1.4.7 and 1.4.10. =A0We are in the process of moving everything t=
> > 1.4.11 but wanted to try to track down this issue.
>=20
> tcpdump. i assume you see no afs traffic, but you do see dns traffic.
> yes? what's the round trip time on that?
>=20
> fstrace. what do you see?

We did find the cause for this specific problem.  Our DNS servers'
firewall was dropping packets when the ip_conntrack table became full.

Thanks for the help!

Jack

--=20
Jack Neely <jjneely@ncsu.edu>
Linux Czar, OIT Campus Linux Services
Office of Information Technology, NC State University
GPG Fingerprint: 1917 5AC1 E828 9337 7AA4  EA6B 213B 765F 3B6A 5B89