[OpenAFS] Invalid cross-device link

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:01:25 -0400

> It was determined out of list that the particular error I'm seeing in
> this case is because I was adding a RO volume on the same server but
> different partition as the RW volume.  While I know it's terrible
> practice, it did work in previous versions and I was using it for
> testing purposes.  Apparently, this is no longer allowed, and gives the
> errors that I'm seeing.

We experienced the same "surprise!" last week when we tried
to move all of the volumes on one fileserver to another
in order to upgrade the former.

The destination server already had its own replicas... of
some of the volumes being moved.  This had always been allowed
in the past for us.

It was a pain in the butt to figure out and then clean up, and
I suspect I'll have a good hour+ of cleanup to do again today as
we moved another server's data to our temporary space in
order to upgrade it as well.  Luckily I log all of the output
of our move script and can at least page through it to correct
things.