[OpenAFS] Crash in volserver when restoring volume from backup.

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:19:32 +0200

Anders Magnusson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem that I need some advice on how to go on with.
>
> I have a volume dump file, but when trying to read it back volserver
> crashes.
>
> The dump was generated under 1.4.8, and the volserver segv appears with
> both 1.4.8 and 1.4.11.
>
> VolserLog.old says:
> Wed Aug 26 14:56:34 2009 Starting AFS Volserver 2.0
> (/usr/afs/bin/volserver -p 16)
> Wed Aug 26 15:00:12 2009 1 Volser: CreateVolume: volume 537998421
> (students.waqazi-4) created
>
> BosLog says:
> Wed Aug 26 15:00:14 2009: fs:vol exited on signal 11
>
> Any hints where to go from here?  I can provide the dump file on
> request, but since it's a
> student home directory I don't want it to be public.
>
> -- Ragge

Attach the volserver with gdb before running the command. Then you may
be able to see where it crashes and why.

You also could try to analyze the dump file with dumptool which is built
under sudirectory src/tests.

Hartmut