[OpenAFS] Windows Vista and strange problem with OpenAFS Authentication

Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:03:26 -0700

Claudio Prono wrote:
> Hi to all,
>
> I have a strange problem with Authentication. The same OpenAFS Server
> works fine with other clients, but with mine i got an error like this
> when i try to authenticate:
>
> The AFS Client was unable to obtain tokens as cprono in cell domain.pri
>
> Error: 11862791 (Unknown code KTC 7)
>
> If i try to do a tokens.exe from prompt i have this:
>
> AFS device may not have started.
>
> Other strange thing is if i try to connect with \\afs, i see my own
> local shares (like a loopback)... is this normal?
>
> How i can debug that situation?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Claudio.

This is not normal.  In fact, this sounds exactly like a bug
in the Vista release candidates that was fixed literally weeks
before release to manufacturing.  In that case, the Netbios stack
would deliver messages for \\AFS to the local machine file sharing
server.

Under this circumstance, it is impossible to communicate with
the AFS cache manager.  Hence the error that the device may not
have been started.

What is the output of "nbstat -n" and "nbstat -S"?

What does %windir%\temp\afsd_init.log indicate?

Jeffrey Altman