[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] Thinking about 1.6

Steven Jenkins steven.jenkins@gmail.com
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:53:16 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Matt W. Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> wro=
te:
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> I would generally agree with almost all of this, except, probably removi=
ng --enable-fast-restart?

> In a demand attach universe, this isn't really useful anymore

Agreed.

>>=A0Since, as you note, there are sites which actually do rely on this, ar=
e you in fact meaning to say that the option would exist, but not be mentio=
ned in the usage? =A0I guess I'd also like to hear from Steven on pthreaded=
-ubik. =A0It appears that it actually isn't 100% stable, but is close, and =
apparently it's issue(s) are difficult to provoke.

> What we have in the code base definitely has bugs; Are there fixes
> which have not made it back upstream?

Not significant fixes, no, but there are some minor ones.

At the moment, I know of no one interested in running pthreaded ubik,
so there's a bit of chicken and egg -- i.e., I know what fixes need to
be done, but need some people willing to run it and give a green light
on it (or to kick me and tell me it's still broken).  And I'd need to
carve out some time to work on it.

Steven