[OpenAFS] Re: Thinking about 1.6

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 17:30:27 -0600

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:03:04 -0500
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:

> > *) Make demand attach the default, but provide
> > --disable-demand-attach-fs to allow old-style fileservers to still
> > be built
>
> Uh...  I'm sure the people working on demand-attach would love this,
> but doing it requires making a decision that we won't release 1.6
> until this feature is actually stable enough for _everyone_ to use on
> production servers, including people who don't know what they're
> getting themselves into.  I don't think we're there yet.

My concern with not making it the default isn't that people miss out on
the latest greatest DAFS-tastic features or whatnot. It's that the
non-DAFS fileserver in 1.5 may be less stable than the DAFS one, because
I don't think it gets anywhere near the same testing that DAFS does. I
mean, other people can correct me, but generally the primary reason
anyone wants to run a 1.5 server is specifically for DAFS. So, the
number of people trying to run a 1.5 fileserver without DAFS is... much
smaller than the number of people willing to run a 1.5 fileserver at
all.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net