[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: Thinking about 1.6

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:09:07 -0500

In message <4B2A4EF1.1060004@inbox.com>,Chaz Chandler writes:
>I think you could argue that from a business perspective, but let's not
>pull the rug out from under it prematurely.  It's working great now.
>Derrick and others just completed a good bit of work in 1.5 to allow it

fine.  but that doesnt mean it needs to be supported beyond that release.
if you want to continue to run irix 6.5 you will be stuck on an older
release of openafs (that will be bug fixes perhaps but not new features).

>to compile cleanly.  If a change is made that breaks IRIX support in the
>future, let the community speak (in contributed C code) on whether or
>not they want to continue support for it.  To me, at least, the
>massively multi-platform support in openafs is a killer feature.  If we

its a killer all right.  it is difficult to work on certain features
since you need to be able to test all platforms.

>must start phasing out support for certain platforms to clean up the
>codebase, consider starting from the oldest (like sgi_53) and working
>forward.

anyone running irix 5.x is really quite brain damaged.