[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Re: Thinking about 1.6

Chaz Chandler clc31@inbox.com
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 13:26:32 -0500

> fine.  but that doesnt mean it needs to be supported beyond that release.
> if you want to continue to run irix 6.5 you will be stuck on an older
> release of openafs (that will be bug fixes perhaps but not new features).

That would probably fine if older clients could still function just fine
with newer file servers.  Is this the case?
I think any argument in favor of continuing server support in 1.6 for
IRIX is pretty weak (even given I run a server on IRIX), but the client
is a different story.

>> to compile cleanly.  If a change is made that breaks IRIX support in the
>> future, let the community speak (in contributed C code) on whether or
>> not they want to continue support for it.  To me, at least, the
>> massively multi-platform support in openafs is a killer feature.  If we
>
> its a killer all right.  it is difficult to work on certain features
> since you need to be able to test all platforms.

Yes, and I'm willing to help with that -- I know from talking with
Derrick that that has been a limfac for IRIX support.

> anyone running irix 5.x is really quite brain damaged.

Oh, I'm not arguing with you there!  In a production environment,
absolutely.  From a business value standpoint, absolutely.  However, I
would say that actively removing features from AFS should probably be
done in a logical fashion with some discussion in the community (such as
this email discussion here!).