[OpenAFS] Current OpenAFS Backup Recommendations

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:27:59 +0100 (CET)

> What open source & commercial backup solutions are
>
> a) aware of OpenAFS
> b) can handle autoloaders well

I don't think that solution exists out of the box.

The only commercial product I know of is from teradactyl and that fell
for our needs because of prize and tape library support (I don't know
if they can share IBM tape libraries with TSM nowadays, their
"supported libraries" web page is thin). So we did our own script
thingie based on that all the gory details of tapes are handled by TSM
and then we only use an own client to archive volume dumps into TSM
(vos dump ... | tsmpipe ...). At least 5 cells around here use this
approach.

Btw, there are folks working on per file backup into TSM as well (as
IBM dropped oficial support of that years ago - and you needed an AIX
client).

Harald.