[OpenAFS] Current OpenAFS Backup Recommendations

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:45:21 +0100 (CET)

> Any estimates on the costs of Teradactyl's software?

Much more (> double) than TSM last time I bothered to ask. But that
was for _our_ setting. Prices for any backup systems can be based on
any measure that some pointed hair boss has figured out (petabytes,
tapeslots, cores, clients, moonphases, you-get-my-drift) so you really
do not know before you have asked and haggled about the price etc etc.
It's like at the oriental bazaar.

> Would it be an alternative to just use the entire contents of either
> the underlying ext3 filesystem and backup that via Bacula or create
> snapshots of the LVs on which the /vicep* partitions reside?

I think backing up without snapshot functionality is a bad idea as the
contents will otherwise not be consitent.

To do a restore, you would need to convince the fileserver/volserver that
a vos restore has happened under their feet. You could of course for
every restore start a new server and then vos move the restored contents
from there. You are moving to untested terrain here.

Harald.