[OpenAFS] Current OpenAFS Backup Recommendations

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Mon, 28 Dec 2009 00:06:36 -0500

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 08:41:17PM +0100, Holger Rauch wrote:
> What's the current status regarding OpenAFS backup solutions?

I don't think anyone else has mentioned backuppc4afs.  We've been
running it for a bit now in parallel to our older system and it
seems to work reasonably well.

It is disk-based, no tape support at all.  You could use a standard
tape backup program to back up backuppc4afs's backup store.

You may see mention elsewhere that using tape to backup a backuppc data
store is untenable; this is true due to non-afs backuppc's extensive
use of hard links as a poor-man's dedup.

backuppc4afs does not do the hardlink bit, since it does individual vos
dumps and the expectation is that no two vos dumps will ever be identical.

danno
--
Dan Pritts, Sr. Systems Engineer
Internet2

Winter 2010 ESCC/Internet2 Joint Techs
Hosted by the University of Utah - Salt Lake City, UT
January 31 - February 4, 2010
http://events.internet2.edu/2010/jt-slc/