[OpenAFS] Why only UDP for RX?

Jake Thebault-Spieker summatusmentis@gmail.com
Mon, 28 Dec 2009 09:01:13 -0600

--0016e6d9a3a25a3ebb047bcb2efc

My understanding is that the choice to use UDP was something that was
inherited from before OpenAFS (that is, prior to the code being dropped by
IBM).

If you look at Derrick's reply to the email you linked, he says there was a
branch in CVS. I believe there is still a "plan" to make the switch to TCP,
but I believe there are other things that the gatekeepers feel need to
happen first.

Do bear in mind I'm not sure on the second part about the switch to TCP, but
I do seem to remember this coming up every so often.

--
Jacob Thebault-Spieker
Cell: (320) 288-6412

--0016e6d9a3a25a3ebb047bcb2efc

My understanding is that the choice to use UDP was something that was inher=
ited from before OpenAFS (that is, prior to the code being dropped by IBM).=
 there was a branch in CVS. I believe there is still a &quot;plan&quot; to =
make the switch to TCP, but I believe there are other things that the gatek=
eepers feel need to happen first. <br>

 TCP, but I do seem to remember this coming up every so often.<br><br><div =
class=3D"gmail_quote">On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Holger Rauch <span d=
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:holger.rauch@empic.de">holger.rauch@empic.=

204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Hi,<br>
I&#39;ve come accross<br>
232709.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/openaf=
s-info@openafs.org/3232709.html</a><br>
and would like to know why UDP instead of TCP has been chosen as the<br>
transport protocol?<br>
Thanks in advance for any info &amp; kind regards,<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 Holger<br>
/summatusmentis.com</a><br>

--0016e6d9a3a25a3ebb047bcb2efc--