[OpenAFS] openafs performace problems

Esther Filderman mizmoose@gmail.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 19:08:31 -0500

To some degree, OpenAFS will always write slower than standard NFS,
because AFS is actually making sure it's not writing crap.  NFS will
happily write stuff at blazingly fast speeds, not caring whether the
data it writes is sane or corrupted.

I'm told that you can tell NFSv3 to do error checking and it slows the
write speed WAY down.  I've never played with it myself (yet).

On the other hand, you should be able to get a bit more speed out of
this.  I'll echo what Jason said -- look at upping your chunksize flag
on afsd.   For a system that's writing lots of large files, sending
the files over in larger chunks should help.  I would start with -10
or -12  and work from there.

Good luck.

Moose