[OpenAFS] Problem with OpenAFS on Vista x86

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:47:06 -0500

Paul Accisano wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>> Paul Accisano wrote:

>>> Sorry about that, I realized I forgot to CC the list right after I
>>> hit send...
>>>
>>> When I install Kerberos, it asks me for a configuration file.  I
>>> don't have one, so I select "User packaged confirmations files for
>>> the ATHENA.MIT.EDU realm".  That can't be good...  After it
>>> installs, I hit "obtain new credentials" where it asks for a
>>> username and realm.  After I enter my username and the cell address,
>>> it shows "Cannot resolve network address for KDC in requested
>>> realm." and "OK" is grayed.
>>>
>>> Trying to access the address via explorer yields the familiar
>>> "Windows cannot access \\afs\..." dialog.
>> hmmm,
>>
>> Can you access \\afs\openafs.org in windows explorer? If not, then
>> the client isn't working properly. unauthenticated AFS access should
>> just work. After that's working, then focus on authentication.
> \\afs\openafs.org doesn't work either, which means something's
> definitely amiss I guess.  Strangely, I can access \\afs, but when I
> do so, I see all my shared folders, the same as if I were accessing
> \\mahoka (the computer name).  On my XP box, I do see openafs.org as
> well as my college's afs cell address when I access \\afs.  Any idea
> as to what the hell is going on?

Please open a command prompt an run "rxdebug -server localhost -version
-port 7001" it should return something like "OpenAFS_1.5.55".

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling an reinstalling the openafs
client. If you're not running version 1.5.56, try the latest version.

Jason