[OpenAFS] Problem with OpenAFS on Vista x86

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:06:32 -0500

Paul Accisano wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe wrote:
>> Paul Accisano wrote:

>>> \\afs\openafs.org doesn't work either, which means something's
>>> definitely amiss I guess.  Strangely, I can access \\afs, but when I
>>> do so, I see all my shared folders, the same as if I were accessing
>>> \\mahoka (the computer name).  On my XP box, I do see openafs.org as
>>> well as my college's afs cell address when I access \\afs.  Any idea
>>> as to what the hell is going on?
>>
>> Please open a command prompt an run "rxdebug -server localhost
>> -version -port 7001" it should return something like "OpenAFS_1.5.55".
>>
>> If that doesn't work, try uninstalling an reinstalling the openafs
>> client. If you're not running version 1.5.56, try the latest version.
>>
>> Jason
>>
> Okay, it looks like there was some kind of problem with the loopback,
> but my problem still remains unsolved.  I've reinstalled a good 5
> times by now, but this time I deleted the loopback from Network
> Connections too and reinstalled (version 1.5.56).  Now, when I try to
> access \\afs, I do see my college's cell address, but I still don't
> see openafs.org, nor can I access it.  It gets worse though: that's
> only *before* I connect to my college's network via VPN (a
> prerequisite to connect to my AFS account).  After I connect with VPN,
> I can't access \\afs at all.
>
> On my XP box, I can see \\afs and \\afs\openafs.org before and after
> VPN'ing.
> Running the command you specified indicates I am indeed running
> OpenAFS_1.5.56.
Did you type in \\afs\openafs.org? When using the default freelance mode
in windows, cells won't appear in \\afs unless you have looked at them
at least once.

open a command prompt and try the following:
1. run "net use X: \\afs\openafs.org"
(where X is an unused drive letter)
2. open X: in windows explorer. What does it show?
3. run "net use X: /d" where X: is the same as step #1.
4. does openafs.org appear in \\afs in windows explorer?

Jason