[OpenAFS] Problem with OpenAFS on Vista x86

David Perel davidp@oak.njit.edu
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:26:54 -0500 (EST)

} From openafs-info-admin@openafs.org Thu Jan  1 10:26:06 2009
} To: Paul Accisano <shiningmasamune@gmail.com>
} Cc: Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com>,
}         OpenAFS-Info <openafs-info@openafs.org>, kevin.walsh@njit.edu
}
} Paul Accisano wrote:
} > Derrick Brashear wrote:
} >> fter a reboot, with no VPN.
} >>
} >>> As for the issue of AFSCreds, I would very much love to ditch it for
} >>> Kerberos, but my college's AFS page makes no mention of it; it only
} >>> gives
} >>> instructions on how to set up via AFSCreds, so I have no way of
} >>> obtaining
} >>> this krb5.ini file, nor do I have any idea what to put for "realm".
} >>>
} >>
} >> typically the realm name is the same as the cell name, but not always.
} >> if you're willing to tell us which college we can probably help.
} >>
} >>
} > Eh, I was a little worried they wouldn't like me mentioning details,
} > but whatever.  The cell name is cad.njit.edu, but I tried putting that
} > for realm and I got "Cannot resolve network address for KDC in
} > requested realm."  What is KDC, and are you sure NJIT using AFS
} > implies they will be compatible with Kerberos?
}

Paul --

 NJIT is scheduled to start the transition to Kerberos 5 authentication
 for AFS on or about 1/7/09 - please see:

 	http://web.njit.edu/kerberos5

 At about that date we'll make available instructions for authentication
 to Kerberos 5 for Windows.

___________
David Perel
IST University Computing Systems (UCS)
NJIT
davidp@njit.edu

} Hi Paul,
}
} I'm CC'ing Kevin Walsh who was the coordinator for the 2008 AFS &
} Kerberos Workshop that was hosted at NJIT.
}
} You're right, I see no reference to Kerberos on the NJIT help pages.
} This suggests that NJIT might be using kaserver, which is deprecated.
}
} I assume that you're using the CellServDB file from
} http://web.njit.edu/all_topics/AFS/CellServDB, which doesn't list
} openafs.org as a cell!! That explains some things.
}
} Paul, please try going to \\afs\uncc.edu in windows explorer and see if
} that works. That cell IS listed in the NJIT CellServDB and I verified
} that the entry is correct.
}
} (Kevin, please ask the right person to add openafs.org to the NJIT
} CellServDB)
}
} Sincerely,
} Jason