[OpenAFS] Problem with OpenAFS on Vista x86

Paul Accisano shiningmasamune@gmail.com
Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:35:45 -0500

Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> Paul Accisano wrote:
>> Derrick Brashear wrote:
>>> fter a reboot, with no VPN.

>>> typically the realm name is the same as the cell name, but not always.
>>> if you're willing to tell us which college we can probably help.
>>>

>> Eh, I was a little worried they wouldn't like me mentioning details,
>> but whatever.  The cell name is cad.njit.edu, but I tried putting
>> that for realm and I got "Cannot resolve network address for KDC in
>> requested realm."  What is KDC, and are you sure NJIT using AFS
>> implies they will be compatible with Kerberos?
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> I'm CC'ing Kevin Walsh who was the coordinator for the 2008 AFS &
> Kerberos Workshop that was hosted at NJIT.
>
> You're right, I see no reference to Kerberos on the NJIT help pages.
> This suggests that NJIT might be using kaserver, which is deprecated.
>
> I assume that you're using the CellServDB file from
> http://web.njit.edu/all_topics/AFS/CellServDB, which doesn't list
> openafs.org as a cell!! That explains some things.
>
> Paul, please try going to \\afs\uncc.edu in windows explorer and see
> if that works. That cell IS listed in the NJIT CellServDB and I
> verified that the entry is correct.
>
> (Kevin, please ask the right person to add openafs.org to the NJIT
> CellServDB)
>
> Sincerely,
> Jason

\\afs\uncc.edu is indeed accessible before I VPN.  But after I VPN,
\\afs becomes inaccessible.  And I did wait a full 5 minutes after
VPN'ing before trying to access \\afs, to wait for any name binding
magic to finish.