[OpenAFS] NetRestrict file info/help needed

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:56:46 -0800

Stefan Strandberg <stefan@cae.wisc.edu> writes:

> We're eagerly awaiting 1.4.8 for debian, as we're currently back on
> 1.4.2-6etch1 and would like to get current before the spring semester
> starts.

You should definitely upgrade to the version in etch-backports before your
semester starts even if I don't get 1.4.8 finished.  It's considerably
newer and has fixed quite a few bugs.  We're running that version in
production on all of our file servers at Stanford without any trouble.

> Currently we have 3 fileservers running on vmware virtual machines.
> What I was considering doing was this:  Clone each machine, power the
> originals off, install 1.4.8 on the cloned machines, and see how it
> goes.  If no problems, make the clones the real ones, and if there are
> problems, power them off and go back to the original machines.  However,
> this plan won't work at all if 1.4.8 will make changes to the filesystem
> that aren't compatible with 1.4.2-6etch1.  Do you know if this will
> happen?  Or if I'm going about this all convoluted, feel free to let me
> know.  I'm still getting used to openafs administration.

I believe this should work.  I don't think there were any changes to the
files on disk between 1.4.2 and 1.4.8.