[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Deadline- Jan 9! CFP: 2009 OpenAFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop

Jake Thebault-Spieker summatusmentis@gmail.com
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 19:45:15 +0100

------=_Part_216895_15762479.1231267515712

#s 2 and 5 intrigue me, 5 more so, but 2 seems interesting.

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Steven Jenkins <steven.jenkins@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Esther Filderman <mizmoose@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > This is a reminder that the Call for Participation for the 2009
> > OpenAFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop will end Friday January 9,
> > 2009.
>

> The following is a set of topics I'm interested in presenting, and I'd
> like to get some feedback from potential attendees -- which of these
> would be most/more useful?
>
> 1- Cache tuning: examples of things people do with filesystems and how
> to tune your cache and architect your namespace to make those perform
> better.  This will use standard performance monitoring utilities,
> server audit logs, client performance statistics, and network traces.
> Suggestions for particular performance cases welcomed.
>
> 2- Examples of some scalability issues in OpenAFS and how to see what
> those issues/limits are in your environment before they happen to you
> in production.  The set of questions is tentatively:
> - do I need faster/bigger hardware?
> - can I consolidate fileservers?
> - should I replicate more ROs?
> - can I safely double the amount of disk on my fileservers?
> - can I safely double the number of clients I have in my cell?
>
> 4- VLDB internals and tricks: the structure of the vldb and things you
> can do with the the various vldb utilities, including dumping it to
> XML, editing that, and then rebuilding your vldb
>
> 5- A description of the life of an SA in a well-run OpenAFS cell,
> complete with examples of the tools and utilities that are running for
> monitoring the health of the system so the SA can rest peacefully, the
> delegation mechanisms in place so that users can handle their own
> admin, the architectural layout so that the network people are happy,
> etc)
>
> 6- how to determine if you should split existing cells and how to
> accomplish that migration with a minimum of pain
>
> Thoughts, feedback, suggestions (and requests) welcomed.
>
> Thanks,
> Steven Jenkins
> End Point Corporation
> http://www.endpoint.com/

Jacob Thebault-Spieker
Cell: (320) 288-6412
http://summatusmentis.wordpress.com

------=_Part_216895_15762479.1231267515712

&gt; This is a reminder that the Call for Participation for the 2009<br>
&gt; OpenAFS &amp; Kerberos Best Practices Workshop will end Friday January 9,<br>
&gt; 2009.<br>
like to get some feedback from potential attendees -- which of these<br>
would be most/more useful?<br>
1- Cache tuning: examples of things people do with filesystems and how<br>
to tune your cache and architect your namespace to make those perform<br>
better. &nbsp;This will use standard performance monitoring utilities,<br>
server audit logs, client performance statistics, and network traces.<br>
Suggestions for particular performance cases welcomed.<br>
2- Examples of some scalability issues in OpenAFS and how to see what<br>
those issues/limits are in your environment before they happen to you<br>
in production. &nbsp;The set of questions is tentatively:<br>
- do I need faster/bigger hardware?<br>
- can I consolidate fileservers?<br>
- should I replicate more ROs?<br>
- can I safely double the amount of disk on my fileservers?<br>
- can I safely double the number of clients I have in my cell?<br>
4- VLDB internals and tricks: the structure of the vldb and things you<br>
can do with the the various vldb utilities, including dumping it to<br>
XML, editing that, and then rebuilding your vldb<br>
5- A description of the life of an SA in a well-run OpenAFS cell,<br>
complete with examples of the tools and utilities that are running for<br>
monitoring the health of the system so the SA can rest peacefully, the<br>
delegation mechanisms in place so that users can handle their own<br>
admin, the architectural layout so that the network people are happy,<br>
etc)<br>
6- how to determine if you should split existing cells and how to<br>
accomplish that migration with a minimum of pain<br>
Thoughts, feedback, suggestions (and requests) welcomed.<br>
Thanks,<br>
End Point Corporation<br>