[OpenAFS] Re: dkms with openafs

Yonggang Hu gottoomanyaccounts@gmail.com
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:40:24 -0500

------=_Part_207005_6726099.1231965624946

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Derrick Brashear <shadow@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Yonggang Hu
> <gottoomanyaccounts@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to get dkms-openafs work?
>
> When I wrote it, I got it to work by installing the rpm, but I make no
> promise that nothing changed.

I installed it and it worked. But it failed to work after I upgraded to a
new kernel, I mean it didn't automatically work, maybe there is something I
need to do but I don't know.

> > I am under Fedora 9, openafs
> > 1.4.7, using the yum repository from official openafs.org. With
> dkms-openafs
> > installed, I would expect it will automatically build the corresponding
> > kernel module when I upgrade to a new Linux kernel. But everytime there
> is a
> > new kernel, openafs client doesn't work because there is no openafs kmod.
> Do
> > I need to manually use dkms to build against the new kernel? If so, would
> > anyone tell me how I do that?
>
> The dkms init script caused it to build a module in my Fedora 9 test
> install, which alas I don't have anymore.

Where is the module located in your system?  Are you saying the dkms-openafs
will automatically build the kernel module, and then I need to manually
install the module? Sorry, I never understand how the dkms-openafs is
supposed to work, I haven't found any documentation about it so far.

Thanks.

------=_Part_207005_6726099.1231965624946

&lt;<a href="mailto:gottoomanyaccounts@gmail.com">gottoomanyaccounts@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Hi List,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Does anyone know how to get dkms-openafs work?<br>
promise that nothing changed.<br>
&gt; I am under Fedora 9, openafs<br>
&gt; installed, I would expect it will automatically build the corresponding<br>
&gt; kernel module when I upgrade to a new Linux kernel. But everytime there is a<br>
&gt; new kernel, openafs client doesn&#39;t work because there is no openafs kmod. Do<br>
&gt; I need to manually use dkms to build against the new kernel? If so, would<br>
&gt; anyone tell me how I do that?<br>
install, which alas I don&#39;t have anymore.<br>

------=_Part_207005_6726099.1231965624946--