[OpenAFS] AFS design question: implementing AFS over a highly-distributed, low-bandwidth network

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:13:42 -0500

Chaz Chandler wrote:
>> Something that might work out a little better is the work being done
>> on disconnected operation.  That might suffice for some of your use
>> cases (assuming the timing of that finishing and the features it will
>> offer is suitable for your needs).
>>

> Is disconnected afs functional?  I saw it as a GSoC '08 project but the afsbpw08 presentation said it's only R/O.

I would not inflict it upon any of my power users or regular users. R/W
does work, but rebooting will lose data and it doesn't work on windows,
just Unix. Simon can tell you more.

Jason