[OpenAFS] AFS design question: implementing AFS over a highly-distributed, low-bandwidth network

Chaz Chandler clc31@inbox.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 11:18:52 -0800

>> 2) There is no good AFS-based solution for group shares in this
>> scenario.
>=20
> i don't agree with that, but it depends on your interpretation.

Ah, good.  What would you recommend?

>> Further questions:

>> a) What is the best way to replicate a volume across cells?

>> b) How would the presence of multiple cells effect the krb5
>> infrastructure (currently: one realm, one cell, cell name =3D realm =
name =3D
>> internal LAN domain name)?
>=20
> it doesn't have to be. you can have many cells in a realm, for
> instance, the sipb.mit.edu, athena.mit.edu, etc cells in the
> ATHENA.MIT.EDU realm.

True, but is it as simple as adding an afs/newcell=40REALM principle and =
making sure the
users get tokens for all cells?

>> c) Are any of the Morgan Stanley volume management system utilities
>> available publicly, or are their methods sufficiently documented
>> publicly?  All of what I've read about them are from previous afsbpw's.
>> (ie,
>> =
http://workshop.openafs.org/afsbpw08/talks/wed_1/OpenAFS_and_the_Dawn_of_a_=
New_E
ra.pdf)
>=20
> as far as i know none of their tools are distributed at this time.

Anyone know any Morgan Stanley folks with whom I could chat about this =
stuff?  Is this
something others would be interested in as well?

Cheers,
-Chaz

FREE 3D MARINE AQUARIUM SCREENSAVER - Watch dolphins, sharks & orcas on =
your desktop=21