[OpenAFS] Volumes and disk partitions

Davor Ocelic docelic@spinlocksolutions.com
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:58:35 +0100

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:01:03 +0000
David Miguel <davidbranquinho@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some questions concerning afs volumes and disk partitions:
>
> 1. An afs volume "is" a disk partition? Or a disk partition "has" afs
> volumes?

The latter, an AFS partition contains volumes.

> 2. All afs volumes must have the same size?

No, volumes are logical units and don't have a size. You can set
a maximum volume size (a quota, which is set on a per-volume
basis), and it's just a number -- it does not
make the volume bigger -- the volume will really occupy only
as much as the data you have in it.

> 3. If a partition "has" an afs volume, can I have many volumes in a
> partition?

Yes.

> 4. If a partition "is" a volume, it has to be the exact size of the
> volume?

An AFS partition contains volumes. Volume's maximal size limit is
the size of the partition it is contained in, as volumes cannot
span accross multiple partitions.

Cya,
-doc