[OpenAFS] File exchange with users out of AFS space

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 19:02:22 -0700

--000e0cd47c6e7a7e3c0461a9983b

hm. interesting issues.

First to address will be authentication I think. If users do not have
principal accounts in your realm, you will need to some way to create a
cross realm trust with their kerberos realm. Then you can use cross realm
principals to for authorization.

Second, proper authorization and good path schemes will make it easy to mak=
sure nobody can read stuff they are not supposed to read. File drawers may
work well becuase if the user is only authorized to 'list' folder contents
and not read folder contents, they can navigate to where they are authorize=
to read folder contents.

Third, the openafs client is very stable and likely not much different to
use that sftp or something similar. It will present a consistent interface
for everyone so its advantages may outweigh having to install the client.

Finally, if the remote users don't have some kind of kerboros infrastructur=
(MIT, Hiemdal, Active Directory)-- you may be out of luck.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at>wr=
ote:

--=20
David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU
602-464-0424

--000e0cd47c6e7a7e3c0461a9983b

think. If users do not have principal accounts in your realm, you will need=
 to some way to create a cross realm trust with their kerberos realm. Then =
you can use cross realm principals to for authorization.<br>
 to make sure nobody can read stuff they are not supposed to read. File dra=
wers may work well becuase if the user is only authorized to &#39;list&#39;=
 folder contents and not read folder contents, they can navigate to where t=
hey are authorized to read folder contents.</p>
o use that sftp or something similar. It will present a consistent interfac=
e for everyone so its advantages may outweigh having to install the client.=
tructure (MIT, Hiemdal, Active Directory)-- you may be out of luck.</p><br>=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at">l.schimmer=