[OpenAFS] Network becomes terribly slow when cache manager flushes updates over xDSL

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Wed, 08 Jul 2009 10:59:11 -0500

Sean O'Malley wrote:
> This is a great idea!
>
> If someone -is- going to do this, I think they would have a few basic
> questions.
>
> -does the client/server store the MTU on a per connection basis already?

For a start try:

    rxdebug host.name.client -port 7001 -peers.

This shows the mtu the client is trying to use for each connection.

> (how hard is this to implement?) or should the server keep dropping to the
> lowest common denominator?

Client should try and figure this out, as each client may be different.

> Should all servers be using the same MTU, or
> should the connection to each say fileserver be negotiated individually?
>
> -Is there a mechanism for this communication already? ie if I set maxMTU
> on the server,

Don't change the server, only the clients that are having problems.