[OpenAFS] Network becomes terribly slow when cache manager flushes updates over xDSL

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:59:58 -0400

>>> The standard is ICMP WOULD FRAGMENT. People who block that don't deserve
>>> functional apps. Don't cater to them.
>>
>> Don't cater to people who are using the network they have and don't
>> control? I guess you advocate OpenAFS minimizing its usability?
>
> Minimize, no. Not add marginally useful and arguably harmful code at the
> expense of _far_ more critical deliverables, yes. Developer resources are
> not infinite. And in the case of OpenAFS, are really entirely inadequate
> (through no fault of the folks who dedicate far too much of their time
> already). And yes, my employer already pays Sine Nomine for support and
> development efforts.

That's between them and them. Developers are free to contribute
whatever they want, and as some random idiot off the street, if I want
the client to work for me, in the random places I end up, I'm going to
write the bits that adapt it to those networks, because until I can
afford my own satellite, I'm going to take the bits I have.