[OpenAFS] running out of inodes on OpenAFS file-server

Harald Barth haba@kth.se
Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:28:33 +0200 (CEST)

> This is on Debian GNU Linux, with OpenAFS file-server 1.4.2 .

Linux -> you use the namei fileserver (and 1.4.2 should be upgraded).

> 1. shut down the OpenAFS file-server in question.
> 2. copy the content of /vicep?? partition somewhere safe
> 3. re-create ext3 file-system on the affected partition
>    with better settings (for inodes)
> 4. copy the content of /vicep?? partition back
> 5. start the fileserver

You forgot:

  0. Backup ;-)

One important thing is to preserve the permissons in the AFSIDat tree
because that contains information, too.

> I vaguely remember that the file-server needs inode numbers to get to the files on /vicep??,

Only the old inode server. Linux does not use that.

> Other option comes to mind: move all the volumes (stored on the partition)
> to a different /vicep?? partition (using vos move), shut down the file-server,
> re-create the ext3 file-system with better settings, move the volumes back,
> start the file-server.

That is the very safe option.

Btw, you could use xfs instead of ext3, we have not had any trouble
with it, it's only faster.

Harald.