[OpenAFS] Re: ZFS + /vicep* sanity check

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:04:23 -0500

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:01:52 -0400
Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:

> Ferguson, Alistair wrote:
> > the partition lock.
>
> Hm?

Most[1] volume operations are limited to one-per-partition, because it
'locks' the entire partition (just creates a file that other utilities
look for) when it attaches a volume; a legacy from the inode fileserver
days.  Therefore, if you have more partitions, you can do more things
simultaneously.

I believe there's a plan to get rid of this; I don't want to say "it's
being worked on" yet because I don't think work has actually started,
but... it's a known room-for-improvement.

[1] Or 'all' depending on how you define "volume operation"

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net