[OpenAFS] Resilience

Wheeler, JF (Jonathan) jonathan.wheeler@stfc.ac.uk
Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:33:24 +0100

One of our (3) AFS servers has a mounted read-write volume which must be
available 24x7 to our batch system.  The server is as resilient is we
can make it, but still it may fail outside normal working hours for some
reason.  For technical reasons related to the software installed on the
volume it is not possible to use read-only volumes mounted from our
other servers (the software must be installed and served from the same
directory name), so I have devised the following plan in the event of a
failure:=20

a) create read-only volumes on the other 2 servers, but do not mount
them; use "vos release" whenever the software is updated
b) in the event of a failure of server1 (which has the rw volume), drop
the existing mount and mount one of the read-only volumes (we can live
with the read-only copy whilst server1 is being repaired/replaced) in
its place.

Can anyone see problems with that scenario ?  We could use "vos
convertROtoRW"; how would that affect the process ?

Jonathan Wheeler=20
e-Science Centre=20
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory

--