[OpenAFS] Re: Connection Timed Out errors occasionally when accessing openafs drive

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sun, 07 Jun 2009 11:32:04 -0700

Adam Megacz <megacz@hcoop.net> writes:

> FWIW, we are still experiencing this problem as well after upgrading
> to 1.4.10, although it seems to occur less often than it did before.

We tracked a similar problem down to user programs who were trying to
access directories to which they didn't have permission (in our case
because their tokens had expired).  Sufficient pounding on such
directories will trigger the Rx backoff handling in the file server and
start delaying Rx calls from that client, which can result in the client
deciding the file server is down or no longer responding.