[OpenAFS] openafs client causing segmentation faults

Ken Elkabany Ken@Elkabany.com
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 20:34:17 -0700

Hi,

My openafs fileserver has begun having consistent "segmentation
faults" for certain terminal commands, the subset of which I have
identified are as follows:

apt-get install *
vim (but not nano)
sudo

Some pre-existing automated scripts that do not depend on the above
have also begun failing due to these errors. Upon shutting down the
openafs client, but leaving the openafs fileserver running, I am able
to proceed as usual without any segmentation faults. Force-starting
the client results in these errors returning immediately. Rebooting
the entire server will stop these errors for a short amount of time
(the client can run and not cause segmentation faults elsewhere), but
the issue returns quickly.

Server setup:
Amazon EC2 instance running Ubuntu 9.10
Kernel: 2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen (note that it's using Xen)
OpenAFS 1.4.10

My guess is that the openafs kernel module is having issues. I used
the following linux headers for the xen kernel:
http://groups.google.com/group/ec2ubuntu/browse_thread/thread/73b30dfe835830ad?pli=1

My only kernel message is "openafs: module license
'http://www.openafs.org/dl/license10.html' taints kernel." which I'm
sure is innocuous.

Any suggestions on how to fix the issue, or at least, how best to
debug the problem?

Thanks,

Ken