[OpenAFS] Debugging AFS sluggishness on MacOS 10.5.7?

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:29:49 -0400

--0016362836a0daf777046d1c4aca

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Samuel Bayer <sam@mitre.org> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I've suddenly encountered some awful sluggishness with OpenAFS on my Mac,
> and I'm hoping someone will be able to give me some pointers about how to
> track it down.
>
> Here's the scoop: I've been using OpenAFS quite comfortably and happily for
> a number of years. The research computing support group at our corporation
> maintains an AFS cell behind our firewall, and while they don't support
> Macs, they have no objection to Mac clients. Yesterday, for the first time,
> I noticed that copying from the AFS cell was ungodly slow; a 70MB file was
> taking ~4 minutes to copy to local disk, while a similar copy on a supported
> Linux machine was taking between 5 and 30 seconds. This is new behavior; as
> recently as a month ago, I'm certain that the copy time on the Mac was
> comparable.
>
> Here's what I know:
>
> - It's not a network problem. Copying the same file from an NFS server on
> the same subnet as the AFS server is comparable on my Mac and on a supported
> Linux machine, as is scp'ing the file from a supported Linux machine.

Is NFS using TCP in your environment? If it is, you haven't ruled out
network yet.

> - It's not an OpenAFS version problem. I upgraded from 1.4.6 to 1.4.10 with
> no resulting improvement in the performance. (I didn't do a clean install -
> and I'm going to try that - but I don't have much confidence that that will
> have any effect.)

I doubt it will, though what's in /var/db/openafs/etc/config/afsd.options?

> - It's not a new server problem. My research computing admin tells me that
> nothing has changed in the AFS configuration in the last month except that
> they moved some volumes from one machine to another, but I can't believe
> that would make any difference, since they're both on the same subnet and
> neither of them is a machine directly listed in CellServDB.
> - It MIGHT be a Mac OS problem. I upgraded to 10.5.7 about a month ago, and
> it's possible that the new behavior coincided with the install, although
> it's unlikely.

from what?

--0016362836a0daf777046d1c4aca

Bayer <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sam@mitre.org">sam@mitre.org<=
/a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-=
left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left=
: 1ex;">
Hi all -<br>
I&#39;ve suddenly encountered some awful sluggishness with OpenAFS on my Ma=
c, and I&#39;m hoping someone will be able to give me some pointers about h=
ow to track it down.<br>
Here&#39;s the scoop: I&#39;ve been using OpenAFS quite comfortably and hap=
pily for a number of years. The research computing support group at our cor=
poration maintains an AFS cell behind our firewall, and while they don&#39;=
t support Macs, they have no objection to Mac clients. Yesterday, for the f=
irst time, I noticed that copying from the AFS cell was ungodly slow; a 70M=
B file was taking ~4 minutes to copy to local disk, while a similar copy on=
 a supported Linux machine was taking between 5 and 30 seconds. This is new=
 behavior; as recently as a month ago, I&#39;m certain that the copy time o=
n the Mac was comparable.<br>

Here&#39;s what I know:<br>
- It&#39;s not a network problem. Copying the same file from an NFS server =
on the same subnet as the AFS server is comparable on my Mac and on a suppo=
rted Linux machine, as is scp&#39;ing the file from a supported Linux machi=
ne.</blockquote>
led out network yet. <br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"b=
order-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; paddin=
g-left: 1ex;">
- It&#39;s not an OpenAFS version problem. I upgraded from 1.4.6 to 1.4.10 =
with no resulting improvement in the performance. (I didn&#39;t do a clean =
install - and I&#39;m going to try that - but I don&#39;t have much confide=
nce that that will have any effect.)</blockquote>
fsd.options? <br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-le=
ft: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: =
1ex;">
- It&#39;s not a new server problem. My research computing admin tells me t=
hat nothing has changed in the AFS configuration in the last month except t=
hat they moved some volumes from one machine to another, but I can&#39;t be=
lieve that would make any difference, since they&#39;re both on the same su=
bnet and neither of them is a machine directly listed in CellServDB.<br>

- It MIGHT be a Mac OS problem. I upgraded to 10.5.7 about a month ago, and=
 it&#39;s possible that the new behavior coincided with the install, althou=

--0016362836a0daf777046d1c4aca--