[OpenAFS] Debugging AFS sluggishness on MacOS 10.5.7?

Samuel Bayer sam@mitre.org
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 11:43:28 -0400

Derrick Brashear wrote:

> The questions I'd first ask are
> -is anti-virus in play?
> -is VPN in play?

Anti-virus is not an issue, I don't think, since the problem only arises
with AFS copying, not with scp or copying from NFS shares.

VPN is not involved.

> And the first suggestion for gathering further information:
> edit the OPTIONS in afs.conf to enable memcache (-memcache) and see if
> the performance changes.

-memcache improves the situation considerably. Time is now 20sec real
for AFS copy, 13sec for scp or NFS copy. That's ballpark enough for me.

Is there a reason -memcache isn't a default setting for afsd?

Thanks in advance -
Sam Bayer