[OpenAFS] Openafs 1.4.8 on OSX very slow

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:10:21 -0500

Hans Melgers wrote:
> I notice afs performance on osx Leopard is very slow; opening a folder
> in Finder takes up to 2 minutes to even display. I have the right
> tokens, firewall is open for all connections.
> Performance in terminal is much better, a cd and ls to /afs works
> instantly. So it seems there are problems in the finder.
> I noticed two afsd processes running. normal ?
>
> Im also tried running parallels with the windows client on the same
> machine, works perfect and very fast.
>
> Does anyone have some tips to speed up performance ? Are there any
> known problems in the mac osx finder in the latest leopard?
> I'm running 1.4.8 with openafsconfig, MIT kerberos extras. Tokens look
> fine. Mac OSX 10.5.6
Was /afs the folder that you tried to view in finder? If so, then it
will be extremely slow with finder because finder will try to stat all
of the cells, which will take a while. Try a deeper folder, like
/afs/grand.central.org/software/ and see if it acts better.

Jason