[OpenAFS] Office hangs on saves

Kevin Sumner ksumner@email.unc.edu
Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:23:03 -0400

Hi all,

I'm working with a department admin on an issue his Windows users are
seeing.  Basically, when a user tries to save a document in MS Office,
the application hangs, as do the mapped AFS drives.  This happens
randomly, but increasingly more frequently.

So far, we've tried upgrading AFS from 1.3.77 to 1.5.36 and upgrading
Office from 2003 to 2007.  We've also looked at setting AFS to freelance
mode, which was already enabled, on the suspicion that Office could be
trying to stat each directory up the path in AFS, thus trying having to
contact other cells when it gets into \\afs.  Nothing we've done so far
has changed either behavior or frequency.

To correct the situation, sometimes the user needs to wait a few minutes
and AFS clears itself up -- other times, a reboot is required.

Has anybody else experienced this, or even found a solution?  The admin
and I are looking for other clues, but so far, nothing significant has
turned up.

Thanks!
Kevin
--