[OpenAFS] AFS lag

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 10:45:32 -0400

>> There is a lot of misinformation about Ubik out there; the voting
>> protocol is actually not complicated, it's just not documented well.
>
>it's actually well-documented, if you find Kazar's paper on Quorum Completion.

You know, we should try to find a copy of that and put it somewhere useful.
>From what I remember (I think I saw a copy once), the paper gets you about
80% of the way there; the source code gets you the rest of the way.

Actually, I now realize that I _do_ have a copy of it.  Can we put it on
the OpenAFS web site?  I just have the PostScript; it's easy enough to
convert that to PDF.

>> If your database servers are accessable via the Internet, we could take
>> a look at them via udebug.  Really, there are only a few things that can
>> go wrong; of all of the pieces of AFS, I think Ubik is one of the most
>> bulletproof.
>
>There are a couple (unlikely) open issues; See RT.

Didn't know about those.  Still, I think we need more information to diagnose
the original problem.

--Ken