[OpenAFS] Fileserver logfile size limit

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Mon, 30 Mar 2009 17:36:59 -0400

--00151751146cdcd59804665ce118

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Lars Wilke <lw@lwilke.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does the fileserver have a limit one the size
> of the FileLog? I turned on debugging and the
> fileserver crashed when the log was 2 GB big.
> Exit Code 25. IIUC this means a file size limit
> was reached. ulimit says the file size is unlimited.
> The filesytem the logs are stored on is ext3.

non-64-bit file API use would limit you to  2gb. it's not inherently a limit
in the fileserver.

Another question is, how do i do logrotation.
> By which means do i get the fileserver to close
> the old log and open a new one. Can i use SIGTERM
> or some other signal here?

the usual way is a restart. you can also do one of:
-add -mrafslogs to the fileserver arguments. at that point, kill -HUP will
open a new log file after renaming the old one out of the way.
-log to a FIFO

--00151751146cdcd59804665ce118

lke <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:lw@lwilke.de">lw@lwilke.de</a>&=
gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left=
: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1e=
x;">
Hi,<br>
Does the fileserver have a limit one the size<br>
of the FileLog? I turned on debugging and the<br>
fileserver crashed when the log was 2 GB big.<br>
Exit Code 25. IIUC this means a file size limit<br>
was reached. ulimit says the file size is unlimited.<br>
The filesytem the logs are stored on is ext3.<br>
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); ma=
rgin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

Another question is, how do i do logrotation.<br>
By which means do i get the fileserver to close<br>
the old log and open a new one. Can i use SIGTERM<br>
or some other signal here?<br>
r>-add -mrafslogs to the fileserver arguments. at that point, kill -HUP wil=
l open a new log file after renaming the old one out of the way.<br></div>

--00151751146cdcd59804665ce118--