[OpenAFS] solaris 10 versions supporting inode fileservers

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Tue, 05 May 2009 18:30:31 -0400

Harald Barth wrote:
>> Does anyone have any information on which versions of solaris 10
>> are not safe?  Any direction to a bug report or a mail list thread
>> would be appreciated.
>>

> I think the sneaky thing was that
>   a) UFS with logging may rot your files
>   b) Some update made logging the default mount option
> I don't think ZFS is safe either.
>
> Harald.
ufs without logging is the only safe option for the inode fileserver on
solaris.

The default logging option was changed in Solaris 9 9/04
See http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5770/6ml72d6kd?a=view

It's sneaky because the default is logging is on for disks over 100G or
some similar threshold.

UFS with logging WILL eat data with the inode server, you will have to
salvage on each service restart when the /vicepX is unmounted and
remounted (i.e. every boot/reboot).

The namei fileserver is safe for ufs (with or without logging) and ZFS
filesystems on solaris.

Use namei, it's safer and faster on ufs w/logging than inode without
logging.

BTW, where should I document tidbits like this?

Sincerely,,
Jason