Fwd: [OpenAFS] /afs area is hanging

Ted Creedon tcreedon@easystreet.net
Thu, 7 May 2009 14:58:10 -0700

--001636e909a39760230469599b58

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ted Creedon <tcreedon@easystreet.net>
Date: Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:57 PM
Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] /afs area is hanging
To: Mark Henry <mark.henry@infoprint.com>

Use select cut and paste typical portions  of dmesg and /var/log/messages

I fixed my problem by recreating all the principals using "kadmin.local -e
des-cbc-crc:normal"
which forces all the keys to be single des.

Typical for 3 servers all of which hung after "ls /afs"

I niced affsd to get enough keyboard control to see that klogd and syslog-ng
are using all the cycles filling /var/log/messages with rx carps.

I think that a massive error caused by mis-keying should not hang windows
and linux clients...

A key check diagnostic would certainly help.

1.5.59 win and 1.4.10 linux on 3 suse 10.2 and 11.1 server boxes, one is
dual homed

Seems to work fine now.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Mark Henry <mark.henry@infoprint.com> wrote:

> I ran the 'echo t' command recommended below once afs hung again.  It
> definitely put some output in dmesg.  The only D states that were listed
> were bash sessions (I think).  It looks like they were sessions that I
> opened after the user told me that afs was hung again.  I tried to attach
> the dmesg output and cmdebug output but the email was rejected because the
> log files were way too big.  Any ideas of what to try next?  Or is there
> anything in particular that I should look at in the cmdebug or dmesg output.
>  Thanks,
>
> Mark Henry
>

>  *Felix Frank <Felix.Frank@Desy.de>*
>
> 05/04/2009 11:46 PM
> Mark Henry <mark.henry@infoprint.com>  cc
> openafs-info@openafs.org  Subject
> Re: [OpenAFS] /afs area is hanging
>

> On Mon, 4 May 2009, Mark Henry wrote:
>
> > I tried the -fakestat-all option and it did not work.
>
> Weird.
>
> > I have searched /var/log/messages.  I have checked the config files.
>  User
> > authentication works fine (even when the system is hanging).  If I run
> the
> > command 'ls -l /afs' that window is hung (or any other command that
> > references afs).  If an afs user logs in when the system is in a bad
> state
> > the session immediately hangs because it can't cd to the afs home dir.  I
> > don't know what to do other than reboot.  Can someone tell me what else
> > try to find out why this system is hanging?  Thanks,
>
> You can find out just which call gets stuck by issuing an
> 'echo t >>/proc/sysrq-trigger'. Call traces for all processes can then be
> found in dmesg. The broken processes are probably in a D state.
>
> This will probably not identify the root cause, but may give a clue about
> what's going on.
>
> HTH
>  - Felix

> "This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipient and
> may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
> intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the
> information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If
> you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply
> e-mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any
> attachments. Thank you."

--001636e909a39760230469599b58

t;<a href=3D"mailto:tcreedon@easystreet.net">tcreedon@easystreet.net</a>&gt=
;</span><br>
Date: Thu, May 7, 2009 at 2:57 PM<br>Subject: Re: [OpenAFS] /afs area is ha=
nging<br>To: Mark Henry &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:mark.henry@infoprint.com">mar=
ortions=A0 of dmesg and /var/log/messages<br>
local -e des-cbc-crc:normal&quot;
s all of which hung after &quot;ls /afs&quot;<br><br><div class=3D"gmail_qu=
ote">I niced affsd to get enough keyboard control to see that klogd and sys=
log-ng are using all the cycles filling /var/log/messages with rx carps.<br=

ws and linux clients...<br><br>A key check diagnostic would certainly help.=
ne is dual homed<br>

, May 7, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Mark Henry <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
o:mark.henry@infoprint.com" target=3D"_blank">mark.henry@infoprint.com</a>&=
gt;</span> wrote:<br>
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

 recommended
below once afs hung again. =A0It definitely put some output in dmesg.
=A0The only D states that were listed were bash sessions (I think).
=A0It looks like they were sessions that I opened after the user told
me that afs was hung again. =A0I tried to attach the dmesg output and
cmdebug output but the email was rejected because the log files were way
too big. =A0Any ideas of what to try next? =A0Or is there anything
in particular that I should look at in the cmdebug or dmesg output. =A0Than=
ks,</font>
Mark Henry<br>
<tbody><tr valign=3D"top">
elix.Frank@Desy.de&gt;</b>
<tbody><tr valign=3D"top">
lto:mark.henry@infoprint.com" target=3D"_blank">mark.henry@infoprint.com</a=
>&gt;</font>
o@openafs.org" target=3D"_blank">openafs-info@openafs.org</a></font>
iv>
<tbody><tr valign=3D"top">
k Henry wrote:<br>
&gt; I tried the -fakestat-all option and it did not work.<br>
Weird.<br>
&gt; I have searched /var/log/messages. =A0I have checked the config
files. =A0User<br>
&gt; authentication works fine (even when the system is hanging). =A0If
I run the<br>
&gt; command &#39;ls -l /afs&#39; that window is hung (or any other command=
 that<br>
&gt; references afs). =A0If an afs user logs in when the system is in
a bad state<br>
&gt; the session immediately hangs because it can&#39;t cd to the afs home
dir. =A0I<br>
&gt; don&#39;t know what to do other than reboot. =A0Can someone tell me
what else to<br>
&gt; try to find out why this system is hanging? =A0Thanks,<br>
You can find out just which call gets stuck by issuing an<br>
&#39;echo t &gt;&gt;/proc/sysrq-trigger&#39;. Call traces for all processes=
 can
then be<br>
found in dmesg. The broken processes are probably in a D state.<br>
This will probably not identify the root cause, but may give a clue about<b=
r>
what&#39;s going on.<br>
HTH<br>
 =A0- Felix<br>

___________________________________________________________________________=
__<br>
&quot;This message and any attachments are solely for the intended recipien=
t and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not th=
e intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, use, or distribution of the =
information included in this message and any attachments is prohibited. If =
you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-=
mail and immediately and permanently delete this message and any attachment=

--001636e909a39760230469599b58--