[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Selecting a configuration file format for OpenAFS Services

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat, 16 May 2009 13:06:38 +0100

On 16 May 2009, at 08:48, u+openafsdev-t07O@chalmers.se wrote:

> I would suggest to rely on a separate program to process a config file
> with the syntax of your choice and produce command line options to
> give
> to the binaries.

I think this is a really bad approach, as it constrains you to
exposing every configuration option as a command line option. It may
be that some configuration options are too complex, or too obscure, to
exist on the command line.

Having a configuration file, whose options may be overridden by
command line switches (for commonly used, simple parameters) gives you
the best of both worlds, IMO.

I'm strongly in favour of using the MIT Kerberos syntax, providing an
existing parser can be adapted to our needs. I'd be reluctant to see
us decide to write our own parser, unless someone is prepared to
guarantee having the effort available to do that work.

Cheers,

Simon.