[OpenAFS] Re: [OpenAFS-devel] Selecting a configuration file format for OpenAFS Services

Simon Wilkinson sxw@inf.ed.ac.uk
Sat, 16 May 2009 16:34:38 +0100

On 16 May 2009, at 16:21, Derrick Brashear wrote:

> the issue from where I'm sitting is that anything we start supporting
> (command line) we end up supporting ~forever, so if it's unpleasant,
> i'd rather not start down the road at all.

I think there is an argument for being less conservative with the 1.5
branch. Users obviously expect that items appearing in 1.4.x will be
there for the long term (I'd argue probably not for ~forever, but at
least until the next major release). However I don't think this needs
to be the case with 1.5 which is, after all, the space where all of
our visible experimentation occurs. I think we need to be free to
release versions of 1.5.x with particular features, and then remove or
modify them in other releases in that series.

We need to be able to make progress on integrating new work, even if
that work isn't initially in a perfect state. I think blocking small
features on major internal reworkings that are invariably massively
delayed just leads to things never getting done. As I've said before,
I believe we need to focus far more on real bread today, than on
mythical cake tomorrow.

Simon.