[OpenAFS] Selecting a configuration file format for OpenAFS Services

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sat, 16 May 2009 13:01:09 -0400

David Boyes wrote:
> On 5/16/09 12:33 AM, "Jeffrey Altman" <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
>
>> OpenAFS does not have a configuration file for use by administrators to
>> configure the various services.  As a result, each time a new
>> configuration option is created it has been implemented either as a
>> compile time option or a run time option controlled by a command-line
>> switch.  The gatekeepers are opposed to the addition of new compile time
>> options because it puts packagers in the position of determining what
>> features administrators and end users are able to deploy without
>> building from source.  However, additional command-line parameters have
>> their own complexity issues.  For example, the current fileserver
>> command line has approximate forty options; many of which are no longer
>> optional for reasonable deployment configurations.
>>

> Rather than scattering configuration around in files, I'd like to see a
> configuration daemon that maintained the configurations for the various
> pieces. A single command line argument identifying a set of addresses to
> contact a config daemon would make this very simple to implement, and the
> config daemon could be a simple "connect, id yourself, receive your config,
> disconnect" operation. Would make configuration management a lot simpler.
>
> If you insist on files, then all configuration should be possible within the
> files, and the command line args should be frozen as is for backward
> compatibility. The Kerberos file format is as good as any, although not
> really friendly for complex parms.

I'd prefer one or more files as opposed to one more daemon. You can use
cfengine, puppet, etc to distribute configs.

I suggest putting the file in the same folder as CellServDB.

Jason