[OpenAFS] Selecting a configuration file format for OpenAFS Services

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb@slac.stanford.edu
Sun, 17 May 2009 10:09:17 -0700

> well, if you send the file over the network, i'd want to encrypt it.

I would also want to authenticate it is from a trusted
source (DNS is not the only service for which replies
can be spoofed or a MITM attack can be successful).
Which is back to some sort of file with a shared
key/certificate on a local file system (and the
file distribution challenge).

Back to the config format wars (windows vs. Kerberos).

I am going to suggest an alternative.  XML format.
It is ugly, but provides arbitrary complex levels,
and can represent even binary data if needed.  I
tend to have a hate relationship with XML, but it
does give one flexibility.

Another format that has been used is YAML.  It
is certainly more human readable friendly, and
the library is under a compatible license as
I recall.