[OpenAFS] Selecting a configuration file format for OpenAFS Services

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb@slac.stanford.edu
Sun, 17 May 2009 12:20:50 -0700

> The impression that I'm getting from the general trends in this area =
is
> that JSON is displacing YAML as the XML alternative of choice.

I suspect because it can be javascript eval()'ed.  JSON, of
course, is a proper subset of YAML.  If one does not need
the additional sugar of YAML, JSON can be a better place to
be.

> I wouldn't mind using JSON, although it has the drawback of not having
> the section concept that's part of the Kerberos profile and Windows =
INI
> formats.  You can, of course, create an equivalent of sections with
> nested objects and that would work fine, but I think the clear
> syntactic separation of sections from settings in the profile and INI =
formats is
> useful for humans.

One of the concerns I thought I remembered being raised about
the krb/win formats was the lack of the ability to represent
some types of configuration settings.  JSON/YAML might address
those.  However, I do not recall someone providing the example
that could be used to evaluate the alternatives.

Gary